Sunday, August 25, 2013

OCSC Sailing Week

Special thanks to the OCSC school for giving us an incredible amount of tools and information to take with us as we head back to Juneau (sans trucks)! My dad joined me in the basic keelboat 1 and 2 course for the week---getting literally thrown into a small J24 and having to become a sailor instantly. I was able to come into the class and perfect all my sailing maneuvers, including learning a new man-over-board maneuver ("figure-8") that both Clif and I now know and can practice in our Cal when we get home. I also was able to gain some more knot knowledge, sail shaping practice and experience being in a steady 25 degree heel in big wind and big chop while staying in control (although, definitely didn't stay dry).

Clif took the Bareboat Cruising class and worked hard all week on close-quarter marina maneuvers in Catalina 32's and 36's. We both were certified at our appropriate levels and received u.s. sailing certification!

I loved having Dad with me on the boat all week. He is now ready to spend some time on Sound Discovery as our gourmet galley chef (in a warmer climate)! We also made a bunch of great contacts that all want to keep on touch and spend time on the boat.

Enjoy these OCSC photos from this week. You'll also notice in the photos a big highlight from sailing on the Bay: Americas Cup races!! We got to see the AC 72's out and about while sailing this week!









No comments:

Post a Comment